Help us improve AOL Reader by sharing with us any bugs you have encountered!

Crashes Safari on iOS 7.1.1 after logging in

After the new UI update happened, trying to log in using Safari on my iPad mini retina, Safari immediately crashes after the loading screen. This happens consistently and I haven't been able to use the new reader on my iPad since the update. Clearing the browser cache doesn't seem to help either.

16 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Andrew Turley shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Safari on iPad crashes every time when switched to portrait mode.
        Chrome does also.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem here!

iPad 3, Safari in landscape and portrait view, iOS 7.1.2

• JJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From time to time it does also crash on my ipad if I'm using the portait mode. Switching the ipad (and safari) to landscape, it does nocht crash.

• Andrew Turley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even after creating a completely new account with zero feeds it still produces the same crash after logging in.

Like I mentioned before, it's possible to login and use the desktop version of Reader by using a different browser on iOS that can change the user agent to a desktop browser. So hopefully this narrows it down to the specific tablet JS or CSS that is causing issues with Safari under iOS.

I'm using the default view, which on the iPad I'm guessing would be tablet view.

Using the iCab browser on the iPad however, I changed the user agent to 'Safari (Mac)' and was able to see the desktop version of Reader after I logged in but obviously it didn't render properly on the iPad screen but it didn't crash the browser either.

So whatever the tablet version of the site is doing is causing Webkit to crash.

It looks like it happens on both portrait and landscape mode. I also tried using a 4th gen iPad and that also crashed as soon as the loading screen appeared.
        I'm logging in using Google authentication if that makes any difference?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Follow us on:

AOL Reader Blog