Help us improve AOL Reader by sharing with us any bugs you have encountered!

Card view model: [space] key shortcuts issues

os/browser: win7/chrome
Card view model:
keyboard shortcuts: [space]
current: Next item or page
issues: we always use [space] key to page down the web page. But in Aol reader, we press [space] key, the first article Previous pop up.
In the top of the webpage, it's ok. But in the middle or in the end of the webpage we press [space] key, also the first article Previous pop up, we don't want to read the first article all the time.
Pls set [space] key shortcut to the system default: pagedown, delete your javascript on this key, it's so irrational

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    EricEric shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ERIC AOLERIC AOL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OK, i know what' wrong with it. when Aol reader loaded, autofocus on the first article, but not the body. So when i press the [space] key, equals click the autofocus div.

Google reader, feedly, they all auto focus on the body, so when we click [space] key, triggered [page down], the system default.

would Aol reader improve it as what google reader and feedly do? so users don't have to change their user experience.

• EricEric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No, sorry. Google Reader doesn't have a card view.
        Card view started with Feedly, you followed feedly, but feedly never change the system default keyboard shortcuts.
        Even in list view, GR never change the system default keyboard shortcuts.
        Only AOL reader write a JS to change system default keyboard shortcuts.
        So i suggest that if you change the system default keyboard shortcuts, you should add an option in the settings, for users to chose to close it or use it.
        And i also suggest you can review it.

• AOL Reader Help DeskAdminAOL Reader Help Desk (Admin, AOL Reader) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We follow the same keyboard shortcut available for Google Reader. The reason when you press space and it always goes back to the first article is you never focused on any article so by default it will always open the first article.

May we suggest you try our other keyboard shortcuts to navigate your reading list? Using arrow keys or PgUp/Down will also achieve the behaviour you want.

Regards,
        The AOL Reader Team

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Follow us on:

AOL Reader Blog