What features would you like to see on AOL Reader

import tag metadata from google reader

When I imported my data from google reader, non of my tag data got imported.

292 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MattMatt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dan HasegawaDan Hasegawa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is the last thing keeping me now from using AOL reader as my permanent replacement for google reader over feedly. I prefer the AOL layout and as a previous AOL customer over 10 years ago it's a bit nostalgic to go back, but I need the stared items from my google reader to be shown in AOL reader as they are in feedly.

• NavNav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I bet someone can figure out how to utilize all the data downloaded from google reader's takeout.

• AndyAndy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How many more votes or comments are needed before we see a "Planned" or "Started" tag next to this thread?

Digg appears to only import your most recent 1000 starred items, just like Feedly (at least the iPad app). Also, it doesn't allow you to search your starred items.

• PeterPeter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great to have.

The data does appear to be saved in the "starred.json" file in your Google Reader takeout files, make sure you do a "takeout" before they shut it down.

• ToddTodd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new Digg Reader does this automatically. If the AOL Reader also did this it would be very nearly complete.

• LucasLucas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Feedy imports only 1,000 items marked with a star, I thought that here I can import all my items, and here there was importing any? I was disappointed.

• BrianBrian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is huge!! The reader that gets this done right wins in my opinion. Feedly doesn't do it, Digg appears to import tag info but it doesn't work right.

• AssafAssaf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Importing just the feeds from GReader is pointless. It's the actual data that is stored with GReader that is critical to us. We have many years of research stored in that. **** google for shutting down so quickly! Never again to trust that company!

• AssafAssaf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Importing starred items and tags is critical for any GReader replacement

• EdwardEdward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please provide option to import starred items from Google Reader... the file name is starred.JSON

I use Starred Items as resource not to read it later... think of it as "saved"

Feedly is limited... I noticed that AOL Reader finally added third option to import directly from Google Reader instead of using Takeout but it does not include Starred items as I wished it does.

Sorry for the additional post, but just a way to import the JSON file we get from Takeout into AOL Reader would be great. For me, one of the biggest losses will be the loss of my valued starred resources.

Feedly only goes back 63 days, at least for me. I think the issue is how others looked at starred items. I star something I want to use as a resource not something I want to make sure I read later. A big feature that goes with importing starred items is the ability to search through the starred items based on keyword or originating site.

• Diego AlvarezDiego Alvarez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi. I would like this option too. Can yo tell us if this is possible before Google reader turn off ? or What file we should save from google reader?. In the OPML file form Google Reader dont appear the tags.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Follow us on:

AOL Reader Blog